Sunday, January 11, 2009

One down...

Two to go. First exam, and one of the easiest, speaking.
Except when I had to talk about environmental pollution. I mean I kind of knew it was coming (after turning up at the exam I definitely knew because my friend told me so I had 20 minutes to think about it) but what am I supposed to say with the limited vocabulary that I have? I'm not yet at the level of fluency where I can just say whatever about anything and get the gist across. And Chinese is not really a language where it's so easy to convey ideas without the requisite vocab. My friend said to me that Chinese people don't seem to have that many adjectives, when they describe something it's always good or really good or bad or terrible. It's true, although maybe at a higher level when you learn to speak more expressively that changes, but in everyday life I find most people don't use a lot of adjectives. Or maybe they do and I can't understand them! Heh.

Something has bitten me on the wrist. I'll take it to mean I'm allergic to Chinese exams.

No comments: