Thursday, January 29, 2009

DVD fun

I feel like posting and because there's nothing exciting about Chinese New Year that I can say outside of food! and fireworks! I figured DVDs (which occupy a huge part of my time here) is next best. Especially given I've just spent the past couple of days doing nothing but watching DVDs. Veronica Mars to be exact. And I both love it and hate it (love it because it's awesome, hate it because it's over and there are NO MORE SEASONS!). So here's a little rundown of my thoughts on TV/DVDs since I've been here, it might help you decide on your next DVD purchase (although it should be noted my TV taste is NOT everyone's, also note that this is not in any particular order, just stream of consciousness):

1. Veronica Mars
Wonderful. Veronica herself is really well done, Kristen Bell did a very good job with the character and I think she's probably a stronger female "kick ass" lead than Buffy. Plus she can actually sing, whereas Sarah Michelle Gellar? Cannot.
And I must say that Logan Echolls is exactly how I like my men to be: tormented but with just enough occasional bouts of humanity or humour shining through to make him redeemable.
Verdict: HELL YES!

2. Charmed
The entire 8 seasons. It's true this show, even at its best (which is seasons 1, 2 and 3 when Shannen Doherty was still on it) was never any good. It was just enjoyable trash with a touch of the supernatural. But Piper was the best, especially after she got over being timid and shy in the first part of season 1. Rewatching this show is really only for those who were going through puberty when it was first showing or if you really really like Julian McMahon watch seasons 3-5. He's hot and evil and sometimes shirtless, what more do you need to know?
Verdict: maybe if you're desperate or nostalgic for the 90s...

3. Weeds
I haven't seen most of this show, just about a third of season one. This got good reviews, but having actually seen Mary Louise Parker (main character) in West Village is the real reason why I started watching (yes I have very pathetic reasons for picking TV shows). Bit of this show are pretty good, but I have to admit I don't like the main character. That's not always a show killer, and I think the idea of the show is great and executed pretty well, it's just hard to take this show in more than teeny tiny doses.
Verdict: only if you like pasty looking middle aged white ladies looking pensive. A lot.


4. Project Runway

I've now seen all 5 seasons (except the finale for season 3 because the stupid DVD cut out, although I know who won and I you tubed the final runways) and really, what was going on with season 5? The seasons got better, but season 5? SO not better than season 4. But would it have been possible to beat snarky Christian Siriano and his dramatic couture? Probably not. And I think I actually learned stuff from this show! The British and Australian versions did not hold a candle to this because: Kelly Osbourne sucks and the Australian designers on the show also mostly sucked.
Verdict: FIERCE! Watch it, love it, and, like me, wish you could sew.


5. Gilmore Girls

I've already watched the entire series before, and fairly recently, so I only started rewatching a few episodes before deciding I'd rather try to make it through Charmed instead. I do love this show, but rewatching season 1 reminded me that mostly I didn't love season 1. Except for Michel and his Frenchiness and Tristan and his hot jerkiness. Rory doesn't have much of a personality yet, and is just not that believable as being all that smart. And Lorelai is fun and amusing until she totally screws Max over for no reason when hello? She should not have been dating him anyway cos he's her daughter's English teacher. Also thinking about it, they made some really poor casting choices for Rory's boyfriends. Dean? Jess? Ugh. I think the only one I liked was Logan. However the only reason why it's believable that so many guys like the Rory character is because Alexis Bleidel is pretty. Rory herself is kind of bleh.
Verdict: love 'em or hate 'em, this show still sucks you in with all its drama and perkiness.


6. Friends

I started rewatching season 1 and I'd forgotten how fun this show was in a brainless kind of way. This was before it got way too convoluted and incestuous with all the inter-friendly hook ups and it was just Ross and Rachel. It's funny because I think I bonded with some girls because of this show, and I could barely remember the show at all, just had a vague impression that when I was 11-13 years old I like it. That pre-teen is still there and still likes it.
Verdict: still has a few chuckles in it.


7. Gossip Girl

This is still ongoing, one of the few current shows I'm watching right now. In fact, perhaps the only one? What can I say about a show that has me gripped each week, even though I don't find any of the male characters particularly attractive? That's okay because Blair and Serena and Lily are pretty enough and Eric and Chuck are awesome and the other characters are not so annoying that I would stop watching.
Verdict: watch it now while it's still hot because the OC really started sucking after they all went to university...


8. Heroes

I almost don't want to write about this because honestly I've barely seen any of this show this season because it is just TOO MUCH OF A MESS. They don't have time to deal with storylines and way too much Peter Petrelli and Hiro isn't awesome anymore and even though there's more Sylar and he's weirdly hot it's just not ok. Even with Kristen Bell (totally underused and possibly she died on the show but I don't actually know because I stopped watching, she is so much better than Hayden Panettiere who is cute but has nothing else going for her besides that) this show is diving down, down, down. How could this show stay on air when Veronica Mars got ditched when IT WAS STILL AWESOME? The mind boggles.
Verdict: watch season 1. It was good. Then stop. Nothing else is good.

And because 8 is a lucky number in China, that's it for me and my lame-o tv show reviews (aka my own biased view combined with some of the thoughts from recaps I read on http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com).

No comments: